Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - UK
The Guardian - UK
National
Steven Morris

Abedi mosque leaders offer themselves for police questioning

Members of the media block a man’s entry to Didsbury mosque in Manchester.
Members of the media block a man’s entry to Didsbury mosque in Manchester. Photograph: Christopher Thomond for the Guardian

Senior figures from a mosque attended by the Manchester Arena bomber, Salman Abedi, have voluntarily gone to the police to offer themselves for questioning.

The Didsbury mosque’s chair of trustees, Mohammad El Khayat, said he and other prominent members of the congregation presented themselves at a local police station to answer questions and invite any investigation.

Giving a sermon at Friday prayers, El Khayat strongly condemned the attack and said the mosque had nothing to hide.

He said many of the people who worshipped at the centre had been welcomed into Britain and the congregation had always tried to give back to the community.

Two police officers attended the prayers and Sgt Allan Dean, who is based at west Didsbury, briefly addressed the congregation to reassure them that the mosque would be protected.

Threats and hate mail have been sent to the mosque since it emerged that Abedi and other members of his family were attendees.

During Friday prayers police community support officers patrolled outside, where a police mobile video unit is posted with a camera pointing at the front door. It is understood the mosque is not being investigated and has not been searched.

Several hundred men were in the main hall for Friday prayers, fewer than usual because of the attention the mosque had received.

Mohammad El Khayat leads a minute’s silence in respect of the bombing victims outside Didsbury Mosque on Wednesday.
Mohammad El Khayat leads a minute’s silence in respect of the bombing victims outside Didsbury Mosque on Wednesday. Photograph: Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty Images

El Khayat said the Libyan community in Manchester was “well-educated, kind, generous, always willing to help”. Abedi, he said, could never represent the community or its values.

“We strongly continue to condemn the horrendous crime that was committed,” he said. “We were stunned, shocked that such an atrocity should happen here on our doorstep.”

He said Britain was a hospitable country which had provided Muslim people with shelter, safety, education and health. “Our mission was always to repay these favours, be positive and useful members of society.”

There has been some criticism of the mosque’s refusal to answer questions about Abedi. The Guardian has learned that Abedi’s father, Ramadan, used to call worshippers to prayer at the mosque because he had an excellent voice.

One of the imams, Mohammed Saeed, has told the Guardian how Abedi attended the mosque regularly and once looked at him “with hate” after he gave a sermon criticising Islamic State and the militia group Ansar al-Sharia in Libya. Saeed reported his concerns about associates of Abedi to the police.

El Khayat told worshippers the media interest in the mosque had been overwhelming and senior figures had not wanted to comment for fear of being misinterpreted.

He said that if they had suspicions about anyone, the police would be the first to know. “We have had positive and good relations with them.”

El Khayat said the mosque would continue to invite in people of all religions, and none. “This incident made us as determined as ever to stand by our values and openness, to continue with our efforts in building bridges.”

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.