Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
ABC News
ABC News
Health

ABC News Breakfast team ordered home after coronavirus scare in studio

News Breakfast hosts Michael Rowland and Lisa Millar will remain at home until they are cleared of coronavirus.

The ABC's News Breakfast team's members have appeared on screens around the country from home this morning, following a coronavirus scare in the Melbourne studio.

Usual hosts Lisa Millar, Michael Rowland and Nate Byrne were not in their usual seats this morning and have been temporarily replaced by Madeline Morris, Ben Knight and Georgie Tunny.

The decision to keep the usual presenters at home was made by ABC management on Wednesday after the wife of the team's floor manager, Joe, tested positive to coronavirus.

While the team waits for his results, ABC management decided anyone who worked closely with Joe should not come to work.

Morris, Knight and Tunny will continue to host News Breakfast for several days until the presenters are cleared of the virus.

Rowland and Millar were not entirely absent and appeared via their home offices to explain their absence to viewers.

"Things moved very very quickly and full credit to the ABC for taking quick and decisive action," Rowland said.

"It's a lot to take in.

"I wasn't up at the usual time of 2:00am but tossing and turning and up about 5:00am … so sort of a sleep-in."

Millar said people had already contacted the ABC to say thank you for being overly cautious.

"[They said], 'Thank you for going above and beyond … because we know workplaces are the real issue,'" Millar said.

Rowland said many precautions were being taken by the ABC to separate news readers into different studios, with some, such as 7.30 host Leigh Sales, broadcasting from home.

"It applies to programs all through the ABC. This is the ABC making sure every i is dotted and every t is crossed because, sadly in Victoria, coronavirus is still out there," Rowland said.

"We have been reporting on this for more than six months or more now, every single day, and it's gloomy some mornings but it's not until you have a deep personal confrontation with this disease … that it really strikes home for you."

In a tweet, Rowland said the measure went "above and beyond the Health Department's requirements".

"But this precaution is being taken for the wellbeing of other ABC staff in Melbourne," the tweet said.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.