Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Nottingham Post
Nottingham Post
National
Jamie Barlow

Abandoned boat is pulled from River Trent after owner could not be traced


New video footage shows the moment an abandoned boat was pulled from the River Trent following a battle to trace the owner.

The craft was winched out of the water at Gunthorpe on Tuesday (July 13) and has been taken away to be scrapped.

An eyewitness, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "I saw a boat being pulled out the River Trent at Gunthorpe and I saw staff from the Canal and River Trust at the scene.

"It looked like it had been in there for a while."

The Trust explained the process of moving boats and said staff try and work with the owners of boats - but in this case the owner's whereabouts were unknown.

A spokesman for the Canal and River Trust said: "Removing boats is always a last resort and only happens at the end of a lengthy process in which we try to work with the owner of the boat to ensure they’ve got the appropriate licence.

"In the case of this boat, Section 8 of the British Waterways Act 1983 permits us, after giving at least 28 days' notice, to remove a craft which is sunk, stranded, abandoned or unlawfully moored on our waterways.

"As part of this process we have been in touch with the owner of the boat previously but their current whereabouts are unknown."

The boat was removed by a large winch and has been taken away to be scrapped.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.