Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
James Gardiner

A-League: Prso hungry for goals after opening Jets account

HEAD FIRST: Luka Prso climbs high for a header at Jets training. The teenager scored his first A-League goal in the loss to Sydney FC. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

LUKA Prso believes the Newcastle Jets need to find a killer instinct as they strive to end a three-game losing streak against an in-form Adelaide United in the second clash of a historic double-header at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday.

Prso opened his A-League account with a well taken goal in the 2-1 loss to Sydney FC on Sunday.

Though relieved to score in his seventh appearance since arriving on loan from Croatian club Osijek, the attacking midfielder's joy was tempered by the defeat.

"The key in those situations is staying focused," the 19-year-old said. "I was very focused on the goal and scoring and was just glad that I put it away.

"Goals have always been part of my game. I'm not going to say I have been prolific or anything like that. As a midfielder it has always been my goal to contribute. Especially when you are attack-minded, you have to help with goals and assists because it helps the team massively. I am off the mark now and hopefully I can continue that good form."

The Jets have lost the past two games to Sydney and Adelaide 2-1 and Prso said they had been guilty of minor lapses and a failure to convert chances.

"There have been small moments in these games where we have had lapses in concentration," he said. "I think we are still creating plenty of chances. We are lacking a little bit of killer instinct.

"Other teams have taken opportunities against us instantly. When we have missed chances, we have gone on to rue those misses. It has cost us games.

"We are losing by small margins and if we start to put those goals away, things will change for us."

Ramy Najjarine trained strongly on Tuesday and is likely to be available for the clash with the Reds.

The Jets have missed the Olyroos silken skills.

Prso is simply aiming to improve every day.

"The experienced players, Nigel Boogaard and Nikolai Topor-Stanley, are constantly talking to me and helping me," Prso said. "Deansy, the coaching staff ... everyone here is very supportive.

"I have everything I need to keep improving and that is the goal."

Lucas Mauragis is another young Jet keen to develop his game further after confirmation on Tuesday of his two-year contract extension.

Arriving at the press conference in a moon boot courtesy of receiving a late tackle playing for the youth league on Sunday, the wingback was "over the moon" to sign his first senior contract.

"I wasn't expecting to come this far when I first came to Newcastle," the South Coast teenager said. "I put a lot of effort in and here I am now. I'm over the moon to sign a contract. Words can't describe my gratitude.

"I don't think a day went by when I wasn't thinking about becoming a professional footballer.

"This was my goal and I want to go further. I want to play at the highest level I can and reach my potential as soon as possible."

Mauragis has made eight appearances this season and hopes to only miss a a couple of weeks.

"I haven't had many serious injuries," he said. "This is the first time I have used crutches."

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.