Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
James Gardiner

A-League: Jets step up negotiations with free agent Abdiel Arroyo

LEARNING GAME: Jets coach Carl Robinson makes a point to Abdiel Arroyo at training earlier this season. Picture: Jonathan Carroll

JETS operations manager Joel Griffiths is confident that Abdiel Arroyo will be back in Newcastle for a second A-League season.

What's more, Griffiths believes the Panamanian striker will be twice the threat.

Arroyo, who was on loan from Panamanian club Arabe Unido, is now a free agent and is on holidays in New York, where his girlfriend Yumeyli Carrington is based.

"The fact he is a free agent makes negotiations much easier," Griffiths said. "There is no league in Panama at the moment. Newcastle is a good environment for him. I'm optimistic about him re-signing."

In a season stalled by hamstring injuries, Arroyo scored two goals and provided three assists for the Jets.

"He would have to accept less money," Griffiths said. "Sometimes you have to go backwards before you go forwards. It is a great platform for him to do well and potentially go onto bigger things in Asia. If he wants to go to Finland or somewhere and start again, good luck to him. It is totally in his court."

Arroyo didn't speak English when he arrived in Newcastle and also had to adapt to the climate and a different style of football.

"I think he would be much better in season two," Griffiths said. "The language won't be as big a barrier and he is more familiar with his teammates.

"I'm certain we have not seen the best of Abdiel. Under Carl and assistant Kenny Miller, more so Kenny because he was a striker, he could definitely go forward. He has something that a lot of players in the league don't have - and that is his speed."

Griffiths also confirmed that talks were progressing with captain Nigel Boogaard.

"I sat down with Boogs last week and we will touch base again in a week and see where he is at," Griffiths said. "The talks were positive."

Boogaard, 34, has worn the skipper's armband for the past five years and has wracked up 104 games.

He missed 10 games with a knee injury earlier this season but was in career-best form in the four games back from the COVID break.

"Boogs is well respected by his teammates and in the community," Griffiths said "Hopefully that will be sorted out sooner rather than later."

The Jets have four central defenders - Nikolai Topor-Stanley, James Donachie, Johnny Koutroumbis and Lachy Jackson - on their books and Boogaard's retention could hinge on changes to the salary cap next season.

The players union, Football Federation Australia and club owners are locked in discussions over a new Collective Bargain Agreement to replace the current arrangement which expires on Monday. Clubs are also awaiting details from FFA on the annual grant for next season, which is used to cover wages. A likely reduction in club grants is likely to flow onto the salary cap.

"The noise is that there will be a reduction. How much?. That is something for the CEO, PFA and owners to work out," Griffiths said. "All I know is that it needs to be a two-way street for the players and the clubs. Without the players, there are no clubs and without the clubs, there are no players."

"It's not an ideal time to be trying to negotiate. I have to work with what is handed down with the salary cap. I'm the big bad wolf in a way, but I have to protect the club financially and make sure we are sustainable."

IN THE NEWS:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.