Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Irish Mirror
Irish Mirror
National
Andrew Byrne

70,000 workers could be refused access to construction sites when Safe Pass Covid exemption ends

Up to 70,000 workers may be unable to return to construction sites when a Covid exemption on expired safety cards ends.

And state agency Solas could be hit with a "tsunami" of renewals from angry workers who cannot work on-site without an in date Safe Pass.

It comes just weeks before an expected return to construction sites for all workers in the sector - although an official date for return has not been set.

Thousands of workers could see their current Safe Passes turned away when Solas safety awareness courses return bringing an end to an exemption on out of date cards.

Safety courses and renewals were put on hold on March 31 last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic and an amendment allowed cards which expired after March 1, 2020, to remain valid.

18/05/2020 Covid 19 scenes as building sites reopen in Dublins city centre today. Phase one as businesses across the country are set to reopen today as part of the first phase of the lifting of Covid-19 restrictions. Pic Stephen Collins/Collins Photos (Stephen Collins/Collins Photos)

The amendment to the Safety regulations states that the exemption on out of date registration cards comes into effect following the "cessation of the delivery of the SOLAS Safe Pass training programme during the Covid-19 emergency," and remains in place for the "period of such cessation."

It adds that safety cards which expired after March 1st last year "shall be regarded as valid."

But when Solas training courses return, the "cessation period" will end, making it a legal requirement to hold a valid in date safety card leaving thousands scrambling to renew their pass.

Solas said its courses are currently suspended with limited exceptions for new entrants but they say the expiry date exemption will remain in place.

A spokeswoman for Solas told the Irish Daily Mirror in a statement last night: "In line with current Covid 19 restrictions, regulated safety training in the construction sector including Safe Pass and CSCS and QSCS training remains suspended with limited exceptions for new entrants working on projects that have been deemed essential.

"The Safe Pass expiry date exemption also remains in place.

"SOLAS will engage with all relevant stakeholders on the resumption of training once it is safe to do so and restrictions have been lifted."

Construction worker calls for online renewal system to solve the safe pass issue

Fergal O'Connell, an explosives technician and advocate for reform around the issuing of safety cards, told the Irish Daily Mirror the issue can be resolved with an online renewal system.

O’Connell, who was involved in a legal battle with Solas in 2017 over the renewal process, said: "All of the neighbouring countries, especially the UK, have an online system. When your card is out of date you can renew it online.

“Most construction workers who will be doing the course again are only renewing their cards. This would allow everyone renewing their card to do it online, leaving the courses open for new apprentices and new construction workers.”

This issue comes amid huge pressure mounting on the Government to fully reopen the construction sector with just 45% of the sector available to work under current restrictions.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.