Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Hindu
The Hindu
National
Staff Reporter

68-year-old man under observation for coronavirus dies in Kottayam

  (Source: Getty Images)

Panic gripped Chengalam near in Kottayam when a 68-year-old man who had been under observation for suspected COVID-19 infection died on Friday.

According to officials, the deceased was under isolation at his residence when he developed uneasiness. He was shifted to the Kottayam Medical College, but was declared brought dead.

“His son had come into direct contact with one of the COVID -19 patients from Chengalam between February 29 and March 8. Accordingly, the youth was listed as a primary contact while his father was marked as a secondary contact”, said an official.

Although initially his death was attributed to a cardiac arrest, health authorities are awaiting the result of a post-mortem examination to confirm the cause of death. A sample of the throat swab collected from the deceased has been sent for virology test and the results are expected to be available in two days.

Officials said the cremation would be conducted after taking adequate precautions. Relatives of the deceased have been directed to keep a safe distance from the dead body.

Meanwhile, District Collector P.K. Sudheer Babu has warned stern action against those circulating fake news regarding the person’s death through social media.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.