Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National

44-tonne bridge to be installed over Newcastle Road

The main span of the footbridge over Newcastle Road has arrived at Jesmond and will be installed during a 13-hour operation on Saturday.

The 34-metre long precast section, which weighs 44 tonnes, will be lifted into place by a 400-tonne crane.

Newcastle Road will be closed between Croudace Street and the Jesmond roundabout from 9pm Saturday until 10am Sunday.

BIG LIFT: Project officer Michael Edwards with Transport for NSW regional director Anna Zycki standing on the bridge span in Jesmond on Friday. Picture: Marina Neil

Transport for NSW Hunter director Anna Zycki said the transportation of the span from Wodonga where it was made, and the lift itself, had been months in planning.

"The actual lift will only take about two hours to complete, but we will need to start implementing detours early in the evening," she said.

"The lift itself is very short, but the preparation and making sure we get it right is complex."

Traffic will be diverted through University Drive during the 13-hour period.

The $15 million project has helped create 45 full-time jobs and provided work for 62 contractors. The bridge will open early next year.

DETOUR: The traffic diversions in place on Saturday.

Kalyn Ponga to undergo surgery, miss State of Origin

Accused murderer 'agreed to finish off' badly burnt Wade Still: prosecution

Investigation after 70 native trees poisoned in Lake Macquarie

Coal ship crewman tests positive to COVID-19 in Newcastle

Kotara South hits new heights with record sale

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.