MUMBAI: The void created by the phasing-out 664 single decker buses will be filled by 400 non-AC CNG buses being procured on wet lease from this month.
The phased-out buses ran on city roads for 15 years with the last run in June this year. Now, the brand new CNG buses, whose ‘wet lease’ contract was signed last December, will provide similar rides and the entire fleet of 400 buses will be inducted gradually by October. The first lot of 25 buses will arrive in a few days.
Many commuters welcomed the re-entry of non-AC buses as BEST has been inducting only AC Mini and Midi buses in the past few months. “We enjoy the rides in these non-AC, airy buses as we are used to travelling in these for years,” said Suresh Mohan, a senior citizen who prefers the non-AC to the AC bus, especially during Covid pandemic.
Another passenger Vaishali Satam said that MUTP buses were popular among commuters for the wide windscreen and comfort in travel. “Due to air suspension on the rear axle, passengers on the last seats could sit comfortably without any jerk. We hope the new non-AC buses have similar features,” she said.
The new CNG buses will have good suspension and comfortable seats, assured a BEST official. A unique feature of these buses, taken on lease, is that the conductors will also be provided by the private contractors.
Till now, the ‘wet lease’ model involved private agencies supplying buses along with drivers, paying for fuel, maintenance etc. Now, they will also give 400 conductors, who will work for BEST and collect faress.
Last year, BEST panel member Ravi Raja had raised an objection, saying how can we trust these conductors who will be “outsiders” and not employed with BEST. On Friday, BEST general manager Lokesh Chandra said there will be supervision of these conductors. “For every passenger caught without a ticket, we will impose fines on the contractor,” he said.