
Four men have been charged after they were identified as the alleged offenders in a series of armed robberies in June on the Near West Side.
Mitchell Barrow, 18, and Marcelis Townsel, 21, were both charged with seven felony counts of armed robbery and one felony count of aggravated robbery, Chicago police said. Two other men, 21-year-old Ricky Hamilton and 19-year-old Curtis Lopez, were charged with two felony counts of armed robbery, with Hamilton also receiving one aggravated robbery charge.
According to police, the four men were involved in several armed robberies June 4 and 5 in the 12th police district, which covers the Near West Side. Their investigation also revealed the men allegedly committed multiple armed robberies in the 25th district on the Northwest Side and in the suburbs, police said.
The group’s vehicle was identified after detectives used public and private license plate readers to determine where they had been driving, police said. After officers located the vehicle they arrested the occupants, who “gave statements about their involvement in multiple robberies.
A subsequent search conducted on their vehicle recovered four cell phones and two handguns, police said.
All four men are due in bond court Sunday.