Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Asharq Al-Awsat
Asharq Al-Awsat
World
North Sinai - Asharq Al-Awsat

4 Abducted Egyptians Released in North Sinai

An Egyptian military vehicle is seen on the highway in northern Sinai, Egypt. (Reuters)

Four citizens, who were kidnapped earlier this week in the Sinai province, were released on Friday, according to tribal sources in North Sinai.

They told Asharq Al-Awsat that masked gunmen had attacked on Monday a house in Masfag village, northeast of Sinai, and kidnapped a man, two of his sons, and his son-in-law who are all from the al-Dawaghrah tribe.

The sources suggested that the abductors are ISIS members.

“Musa Hamdan Abu Mrihail, two of his sons, Islam and Jaber, as well as his brother-in-law Sabah Asbih, whose car was also stolen, have returned to their home in the village at noon on Friday,” Mohammed Khaled al-Duweghri told Asharq Al-Awsat.

They were blindfolded and transported in a car from an unknown mountainous area near the Arish-Qantara international road and then returned home after four days.

Ibrahim al-Ruwais, one of the abductees’ relatives, told Asharq Al-Awsat there were no signs of any assault on their bodies and that they were in good health.

“They were summoned by police to be questioned about the incident, and after returning home, they refused to give any information.”

According to the same tribal sources, this is the second time that citizens from the al-Dawaghrah tribe are abducted by terrorists.

The first victim was Abdul Hamid Hawari, 24, who was kidnapped in July and released after 11 days.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.