A man has been charged by New South Wales Police after investigators alleged he stole camera equipment from a victim of the Bondi Beach terror attack in the immediate aftermath of the violence.
The allegation surfaced during the ongoing investigation into the December 14 shooting, which left 15 people dead at a Hanukkah event in Bondi. One of those killed was 61-year-old Peter Meagher, a retired police officer who had been working as a freelance photographer on the night.
Police say the missing equipment was identified as part of their inquiries into the attack. “Detectives identified that one of the victims — a 61-year-old retired police officer and photographer – had his camera equipment stolen in the aftermath of the attack,” a statement read.
In March, Meagher’s widow Virginia publicly appealed for help to locate the camera, highlighting its significance following his death.
On Wednesday, detectives carried out a search warrant at a home in Sydney’s north-west. Authorities said they seized a camera, handcuffs and multiple electronic devices during the search. A vehicle at the property was also examined, where police allege they found “a small amount of white crystal powder” along with further electronics.
A 35-year-old man was arrested and taken to Riverstone Police Station. He has since been charged with larceny and disposing of stolen property.
Police allege the man had also been working at the Hanukkah event as a photographer.
“Police will allege the man was a photographer at the Hanukah event who stole the deceased 61-year-old’s camera equipment before pawning it days later,” the statement said.
He has been granted strict conditional bail and is expected to face Blacktown Local Court on 22 June.
The investigation into the attack remains ongoing, with related matters still before the courts.
Lead Image: NSW Police
The post 35 Y.O. Sydney Man Charged Over Alleged Theft Of Bondi Attack Victim’s Camera Equipment appeared first on PEDESTRIAN.TV .