Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times
World
W.J. Hennigan

26 people treated after Army's accidental anthrax shipments

May 28--REPORTING FROM WASHINGTON -- At least 26 people are being treated for potential exposure to deadly anthrax after an Army bio-defense facility in Utah mistakenly sent live samples to private and military laboratories in as many as nine states, including California, and South Korea, officials said Thursday.

No confirmed infections were reported, and Pentagon officials insisted the accidental shipments of live Bacillus anthracis spores around the country and halfway around the world posed no risk to the general public.

The Pentagon said the 26 affected, including at least four civilians at U.S. commercial laboratories, are being given antibiotics and in some cases, vaccinations, as a safeguard.

The 22 others being treated are at a U.S. military laboratory at Osan Air Base in South Korea, where emergency response teams destroyed the anthrax sample. A joint U.S.-Korean program at Osan aims to boost bio-surveillance capabilities on the Korean Peninsula.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said it was working with state and federal agencies to investigate how the anthrax samples were sent from the Army's Dugway Proving Ground, a vast facility in southwest Utah where researchers try to build and test defenses against chemical and biological agents, including viruses and bacteria.

The CDC said it had launched its inquiry last weekend after it was contacted by a private commercial lab in Maryland that had received live spores. Normally, the anthrax is exposed to gamma radiation to render it inert.

The CDC said it had sent investigators to all the labs and was trying to determine if they all had received live samples. Officials said the facilities are in California, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Wisconsin. They did not identify the specific labs.

In 2011, Dugway was put on lockdown overnight when a vial of deadly VX nerve agent went missing. The vial later was found, but had been mislabeled.

The nation's worst biological attack involved anthrax also created in an Army facility.

Less than a month after the Al Qaeda attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, five envelopes containing anthrax spores were sent to several members of Congress and the media, sparking widespread fear of a debilitating terrorist attack.

At least 22 people contracted anthrax, and five died from the infection. The attack disrupted mail and other government services as experts struggled to decontaminate 35 post offices and mail rooms, as well as several buildings on Capitol Hill.

After years of false starts, the FBI concluded in 2008 that Dr. Bruce Ivins, a researcher at the Army's Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases, was responsible. He committed suicide before he was charged.

------

For the record:

1:11 p.m., May 28: An earlier version of this post misspelled the last name of Dr. Bruce Ivins as Ivans. Also, an earlier headline on this post incorrectly said anthrax shipments ended up in nine states. Anthrax was shipped to as many as nine states but only live Anthrax was discovered in Maryland so far.

------

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.