Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Newcastle Herald
Newcastle Herald
National
Matt Carr

11,000 Hunter public servants facing pay freeze, Labor data shows

MORE than 11,000 Hunter workers would have their pay frozen under the state government plan to pause public sector wages for a year, the NSW Opposition says.

Labor has vowed to fight Premier Gladys Berejiklian's proposal to keep government employee wages on hold until next year due to the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

Joining treasurer Dominic Perrottet on Wednesday, she said the decision "has not been taken lightly" and was designed to put "every spare dollar we have" into health spending.

It will also mean no job losses within the public service for 12 months, Ms Berejiklian said.

"Nobody will be forced out of a job in NSW public service," she said, but said she could not rule out government job cuts further own the track.

"As difficult as this decision is, our decisions would be more difficult down the track if we do not take this decision today.

"It's the least worst option."

Opposition figures show that it would affect 11,431 of those workers based in the Hunter including nurses, cleaners, police and firefighters.

Their figures include 2086 health workers, 472 police officers, 2924 teachers, 74 transport workers and 3564 public servants.

"Our public servants have been heroes during the pandemic," Labor leader Jodi McKay said.

"They deserve a medal, not a pay cut.

"Public servants in the Hunter are critical to the local economy. Cutting their wages will hurt local businesses and local families."

Shadow Minister for the Hunter Clayton Barr said it would have flow-on effects for the region's wider economy.

"The best way we can stimulate the economy in the Hunter is by supporting people to spend their wages in local businesses, at supermarkets and other shops," he said.

"That's how we keep regional economies afloat during this crisis."

Separately, Swansea MP and deputy NSW Labor leader Yasmin Catley has criticised a government decision to put cleaning services on trains between Newcastle and Sydney out for tender.

Ms Catley said it was "absolutely disgraceful" the contract between government agencies NSW TrainLink and Sydney Trains, which included about 12 jobs at Gosford station and eight based at Hamilton, had been allowed to lapse given the role these workers played during the pandemic.

IN THE NEWS:

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.