Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
The Guardian - US
The Guardian - US
World
Guardian staff

Trump news at a glance: president goes after Biden executive orders with baseless autopen claims

An image of an autopen signing Joe Biden’s signature is displayed in place of a portrait of Biden at the White House.
An image of an autopen signing Joe Biden’s signature is displayed in place of a portrait of Biden at the White House. Donald Trump has frequently made a number of claims about his predecessor’s use of autopens. Photograph: Ken Cedeno/Reuters

Donald Trump has declared he intends to cancel most of the executive orders signed by Joe Biden, his predecessor as president of the United States.

In a post on social media, Trump claimed baselessly that Biden had not signed off on the orders himself, saying that “the radical left lunatics circling Biden around the beautiful Resolute Desk in the Oval Office took the Presidency away from him” by signing his name using an autopen – a signature machine, which has commonly been used by nearly all US presidents since the device’s invention.

Trump himself has also used an autopen in the past for signing certain documents.

Trump says he plans to cancel most of Biden’s executive orders

Donald Trump has frequently belittled his predecessor and repeatedly alleged Biden was addled by the end of his term in office and not really the one making decisions.

Without evidence, he has claimed many times that Biden administration officials may have forged their boss’s signature by using the autopen. Trump has also obsessively cast doubt on the validity of pardons and other documents that Biden signed with an autopen, even though for decades other presidents before him have also relied on the device to sign key papers.

Read the full story

Trump escalates immigration crackdown after DC shooting

Donald Trump has said he will “permanently pause migration from all third world countries” a day after two national guard members were shot in Washington DC in an attack that has become a political flashpoint in the president’s ongoing crackdown on immigration.

In a social media post beginning with “a very happy Thanksgiving”, sent after 11pm on Thursday, the US president said his administration would “end all federal benefits and subsidies to noncitizens” and remove “anyone who is not a net asset to the United States”.

Read the full story

Leaked files show far-right influences among Project 2025 applicants

Hacked materials from the powerful rightwing thinktank the Heritage Foundation show that applicants to a Project 2025-branded effort to create a talent pool for the Trump administration cited the influence of Nazi political theorists and other far-right thinkers on their political views.

Read the full story

Trump order to keep power plant open costs taxpayers $113m

Trump administration orders to keep an ageing, unneeded Michigan coal-fired power plant online has cost ratepayers from across the US midwest about $113m so far, according to estimates from the plant’s operator and regulators.

Still, the US energy department last week ordered the plant to remain open for another 90 days.

Read the full story

What else happened today:

Catching up? Here’s what happened on 27 November 2025.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.