The White House reacted to Amazon MGM’s official casting call for the next James Bond with a bizarre post of Donald Trump as 007 himself.
Last week, the studio announced the search for Daniel Craig’s successor was underway. “While we don’t plan to comment on specific details during the casting process,” Amazon MGM said in a statement, “we’re excited to share more news with 007 fans as soon as the time is right.”
Days later, the White House responded to the news on social media with a simple eyeballs emoji in the caption, alongside a black-and-white image of the president in a tuxedo, holding up a gun in one hand while the other is tucked under his right arm. His slogan, “Make America Great Again,” is in the bottom-right corner in a gold typeface.
The casting announcement comes more than a year after long-serving James Bond producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli revealed they were handing creative control of the iconic franchise to the Jeff Bezos-founded company.
Billionaire Bezos, a notable ally of Trump, previously told The Independent that the company’s plan for the franchise is to “make great movies.” As of yet, there has been no indication that the president is in any way affiliated with the next installment in the beloved spy film series.
👀 https://t.co/k8RYZ3XSDW pic.twitter.com/FEnJjOvmWS
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) May 16, 2026
The Independent has contacted Amazon MGM for comment.
The identity of the next 007 has been the subject of feverish speculation ever since Craig confirmed he would depart the role following 2021’s No Time To Die.
It was reported last September that Denis Villeneuve, who will direct the first Bond film of the Amazon era, might be searching for an “unknown” actor to play the lead.
A number of high-profile actors have been rumored to be in contention for the role of 007. At one time, Bullet Train star Aaron Taylor-Johnson was considered the favorite to take over from Craig, with others including Tom Holland, Harris Dickinson and Jacob Elordi in the running.
In recent months, Eternity star Callum Turner has emerged as a potential frontrunner.
The next James Bond movie, which will be written by Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight, is not scheduled for release until 2028.
Last month, Amazon MGM Studios’ head of film Courtenay Valenti offered an update on what’s going on behind the scenes, saying: “Now, I know you’re all wondering when we’re going to announce who’s playing James Bond.”
“Please know that we’re taking the time to do this with care and deep respect. It is the dream of a lifetime for all of us to bring audiences this next chapter, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly,” she added.
“What I can tell you is this: when you pair one of the most beloved franchises in history with a world-class filmmaking team [...] you’re setting the stage for something that’s truly worthy of the Bond legacy. That film is coming, and when the time is right, we’ll have much more to share.”
The men who could be the new James Bond
Javier Bardem accuses Trump, Putin and Netanyahu of ‘male toxic behaviour’
James Bond auditions are officially underway, say Amazon MGM
Rosamund Pike hits out at director over nude scenes in award-nominated film
Cate Blanchett says Hollywood ‘very quickly’ killed #MeToo
French star Patrick Bruel denies accusations of rape and sexual assault