NATO is reportedly considering an operation to reopen the Strait of Hormuz if the key waterway remains closed by July, according to a new report.
Bloomberg reported that the idea has the support of several members of the alliance. However, not the unanimity needed to move forward.
Discussions about the possibility could take place at a meeting of leaders of NATO countries in Turkey in early July.
So far negotiations to end the war and the blockade of the waterway by both the U.S. and Iran remain deadlocked.
On Monday, President Donald Trump announced that he would hold off on a scheduled attack against Iran on Tuesday at the request of Gulf leaders and to give more time for negotiations.
Axios detailed that the request, made by the leaders of the UAE, Qatar and Saudi Arabia, was a result of concerns about having their infrastructure targeted by Iran if new strikes took place.
A source with knowledge with the matter said Trump told allies that the Gulf leaders said they didn't "want their oil and energy facilities blown up" by Iranian retaliation.
Trump said in a social media publication on Monday that he was calling off attacks scheduled for Tuesday as "serious negotiations" were taking place.
In the opinion of the Gulf leaders, Trump added, "a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond."
"This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN! Based on my respect for the above mentioned Leaders, I have instructed Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth, The Chairman of The Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Daniel Caine, and The United States Military, that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow, but have further instructed them to be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached," Trump added.
However, another report detailed that Iran's latest demands to end the war appear to be largely unchanged from previous ones.
Reuters detailed that demands include ending hostilities on all fronts, the exit of U.S. forces from the region and reparations for damages sustained, as well as the lifting of sanctions, the release of frozen funds and an end to the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz.
The outlet went on to recall that the wording is quite similar to a proposal President Donald Trump called "garbage" last week.