A dispute over a controversial compensation fund backed by President Donald Trump has emerged as a major obstacle to a Senate immigration spending bill, with Republican lawmakers joining Democrats in raising objections to the proposal.
The disagreement centers on a $1.776 billion "Anti-Weaponization Fund" that Trump says is intended to compensate people who were unfairly targeted by the federal government during former President Joe Biden's administration. The fund has become a flashpoint in Congress after being attached to a $72 billion immigration enforcement package that stalled in the Senate this week.
Several Republican senators demanded that the fund either be eliminated or subjected to stricter oversight before they would support moving forward with the broader spending measure, according to Reuters. The resistance marks one of the most significant public breaks between congressional Republicans and Trump since his return to the White House.
The Senate's concerns surfaced days after Senate Majority Leader John Thune blocked a separate proposal that would have provided $1 billion in federal funding for a new White House ballroom project. Thune said there was insufficient Republican support for the measure, according to the news agency.
Trump defended the compensation fund on Friday, arguing that it would provide justice to people he believes were harmed by what he has repeatedly described as government "weaponization." In a social media post, Trump said he was helping individuals who had been abused by a "corrupt and weaponized" Biden administration.
Among the most vocal Republican critics has been Thom Tillis, who questioned whether people convicted in connection with the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol could receive payments from the fund. Tillis told Spectrum News that compensating individuals who admitted guilt, were convicted, and later pardoned would be "absurd.''
The controversy has also sparked bipartisan action in the House of Representatives. Republican Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick and Democratic Rep. Tom Suozzi are working on legislation that would prohibit payments from the fund, Reuters reported. Retiring Republican Rep. Don Bacon described both the fund and the ballroom proposal as "poison pills" for lawmakers facing difficult reelection campaigns.
The fund itself emerged from a settlement involving Trump's lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service over the disclosure of his tax returns. Senate Republicans met earlier this week with Attorney General Todd Blanche to seek details about how the program would operate and who would qualify for compensation, according to an earlier Reuters report.
Outside Congress, the proposal has already triggered legal challenges. A coalition of plaintiffs, including former federal prosecutors, advocacy groups and local governments, filed lawsuits seeking to block the fund's implementation. The plaintiffs argue the arrangement lacks sufficient legal authority and oversight, according to The Associated Press.
The city of New Haven, Connecticut, joined one of those lawsuits on Friday. Mayor Justin Elicker criticized the program as politically motivated and argued that federal officials should not be able to distribute money through the fund without congressional authorization, New Haven Register reported.
Democrats have seized on the controversy as they seek to challenge Republican support for Trump's agenda. Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer has characterized the dispute as evidence of turmoil within Republican ranks, while Democratic lawmakers are preparing amendments designed to force votes on transparency requirements and restrictions on potential recipients, according to Reuters.
The debate comes as Congress grapples with several high-profile issues, including immigration enforcement funding, government spending priorities and ongoing scrutiny of federal actions related to the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. It also follows recent tensions within the Republican Party over spending proposals and Trump's endorsements in congressional primary races.