
Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammed Shtayyeh said any US plans or proposals on Palestinian autonomy were unacceptable.
“All the statements made by the US administration regarding the American plan to deal with the two-state solution and the talk of self-rule to ensure the security of Israel are rejected by President Mahmoud Abbas and the Palestinian leadership,” Shtayyeh said at the start of the Palestinian cabinet meeting on Monday.
He was responding to statements by US officials that their plan was based on Palestinian self-rule, instead of the two-state solution.
US Ambassador to Israel David Friedman said last week that the administration of US President Donald Trump was not working for a peaceful solution based on a two-state solution, but would offer a plan based on “Palestinian self-rule,” when Palestinians are capable of assuming such responsibility.
So far, the United States has not made its plan public, fearing its failure amid a Palestinian and Arab rejection. The US peace team, led by Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, ended a tour of the region a few days ago to rally support to the plan. But the delegation only heard Arab support for the Palestinians' right to have an independent state.
The Palestinians say they will not even listen to the US plan as long as the United States does not back down from decisions about recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, and the issues of refugees and Palestinian support.