Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Tribune News Service
Tribune News Service
National
Michael McGough

Sand fire in Yolo County nearly contained, Cal Fire says

SACRAMENTO, Calif. _ Six days after igniting in rural Yolo County, the Sand fire is now 98% contained, with hundreds of personnel having been pulled off the wildfire since the start of the week, Cal Fire said in a Friday morning update.

Cal Fire now says two minor injuries have been reported in connection with the fire, which stands at 2,512 acres as firefighters continue containment efforts by mopping up hot spots, according to a 7 a.m. incident report.

A total of 200 fire personnel remain assigned to the fire, which was being battled by more than 1,100 firefighters at the start of the week. Crews still at the fire Friday continue to construct new fire lines and fortify existing ones, Cal Fire says.

Evacuation orders and advisories issued last weekend have since been lifted, and no road closures remain in place along Highway 16 and County Road 41. About 130 residents had been evacuated from Saturday through 5 p.m. Monday.

The Sand fire sparked just before 3 p.m. in the Capay Valley, between the sparsely populated communities of Guinda and Rumsey. It remains the state's largest wildfire by acreage in 2019, according to Cal Fire.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.