Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Wales Online
Wales Online
National
Douglas Barrie PA & Kirsty Bosley

No criminal proceedings over Trump paraglider protest

Two men who were reported to prosecutors after an anti-Trump banner was flown during the US president's UK visit will not face criminal proceedings.

An aircraft was flown over the hotel where Donald Trump was staying in Turnberry, South Ayrshire on July 13 last year.

A banner was hung from it reading "Trump: Well Below Par".

A 55-year-old man was subsequently arrested, charged and released pending further inquiries.

In November, police said a 35-year-old man had been reported to the procurator fiscal in connection with the incident.

President Donald Trump (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

It emerged on Monday they will face no criminal proceedings.

A Crown Office spokesman said: "The procurator fiscal deals with every case on its own individual facts and circumstances, and will take action where there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to do so.

"Following full and careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of this case, Crown Counsel instructed that there should be no criminal proceedings at this time.

"The Crown reserves the right to proceed in the future should further evidence become available."

During the private leg of his four-day visit to the UK, Mr Trump and his wife Melania stayed at the Trump Turnberry resort.

Figures obtained by the Press Association revealed the £14.2 million cost of policing the visit in which he met the Queen at Windsor Castle and was hosted by Prime Minister Theresa May.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.