Residents fear plans to introduce a one-way traffic route on part of a major Liverpool road could cause severe congestion and make their lives "intolerable".
People living in the area are unhappy over a controversial Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) that would block the use of a key residential side road off busy Queens Drive , forcing them to rely on a heavily congested route instead.
Liverpool Council's highways committee is set to approve plans to make Glendevon Road, next to the Rocket Flyover , a one-way street between the junction of Queens Drive and a new access road.
A highways report says the TRO will alleviate 'rat running' by creating a "no entry" scenario from Queens Drive onto Glendevon Road, which will be accessible via Rocky Lane in Childwall.
Anxious residents say their lives will "never be the same again" if it gets the go-ahead, citing "nightmare" traffic levels around the M62 / Rocket intersect.
In a lengthy list of objections submitted to the council, people from nearby streets complained the road shake-up would restrict access to their homes, increase congestion and air pollution and make road accidents "inevitable".
Name of Bootle crossbow victim confirmed by police
One local fumed: "There is already total traffic chaos and mayhem in Rocky Lane and adjoining roads.
"The whole of this area, but particularly Rocky Lane, Score Lane, Bentham Drive, Thingwall Road and of course Queens Drive are subject to constant traffic queues and traffic congestion, resulting in unacceptable levels of air pollution noise pollution and safety issues."
Another said: "Rocky Lane will be greatly affected by the increased traffic, the situation on this road is already a nightmare for residents."
A third complained: "We feel that by closing access to Glendevon Road from Queens Drive the traffic congestion on Rocky Lane and Score Lane will be increased. The junction of these two roads is already an accident waiting to happen."
Man hit by train in Hoylake confirmed as 21-year-old
A fourth said: "Rocky Lane is already overly busy all day long. Between rush hours our road can be a nightmare and having two small children I am deeply concerned about the safety of the road."
The proposed traffic order is in relation to a housing development for 16 homes on land next to the Royal Naval Association Club at 38 Bowring Park Road.
Planning permission was approved in January on the condition that Glendevon Road would become a one-way street from the Queens Drive end.
Some residents suggested they were being sacrificed for a small housing development which was not worth the disruption it would cause.
One resident said: "I cannot believe this is seriously being considered. It seems more hassle than it is worth. Local people inconvenienced, a major road redirected, trucks and lorries thundering up and down Glendevon Road, not to mention the poor residents who are in the unfortunate position of having to live next to this. All for the sake of 16 houses."
Police release statement after Barcelona team hotel targeted with fireworks
Another added: "Our lives will never be the same again if we cannot gain access to our houses by car from both ends of Glendevon Road, which I have done for 52 years. This would be quite intolerable, just to allow for the erection of 16 houses in what is a cramped and difficult site to reach."
The TRO will be discussed by councillors at a Highways and Public Spaces Committee meeting on Thursday.
Former Childwall Labour councillor Jeremy Woolfson, who lost his seat to Lib Dem Alan Tormey at last week's local election , also wrote to the highways department opposing the plans "in the strongest possible terms".
Man killed with crossbow after row broke out in street
Danny Gordon, Head of Highways and Transportation at Liverpool City Council, has recommended that councillors on the Highways committee do not support the objections and approve the plans.
In a report outlining the plans, he admitted the proposal has the potential to increase traffic on the north eastbound side of Rocky Lane by 494 cars over a 12-hour period. However he said it would reduce traffic and 'rat running' on the narrower Glendevon Road.
The Highways Officer has also argued that it would not be safe for cars to access the housing site via Queens Drive.
An air quality assessment during the planning application for the new homes also concluded the development would not have a "significant" adverse impact on health.