Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Daily Mirror
Daily Mirror
National
Sarah Ward & Lorraine King

Huge queues outside Starbucks as coffee chain reopens first drive-through today

Patient coffee fans have been queuing for a takeaway fix at a drive-through branch of Starbucks that opened today for the first time since lockdown.

Drivers collected their hot drinks, which were served on cardboard trays, while a queue snaked around the waiting area.

One barista, who wore blue plastic gloves and a face mask, appeared happy to be back at work as he made the peace sign with both hands.

It was the first day business resumed in Livingston, West Lothian, since they were temporarily closed in March.

Starbucks has reopened around 150 stores across the UK today in the first phase of its reopening plans, which are predominantly focused on drive through stores.

The coffee chain has opened 150 drive-through branches (Katielee Arrowsmith SWNS)

New safety measures at UK sites will include regular hand-washing for at least 20 seconds, two metre social distancing, screens at payment areas and the use of contactless payment only.

The coffee chain said it has been "learning, testing and refining our operational standards every day" behind closed doors.

It said the reopening plan - which will start 15 per cent of its branches - will focus on ensuring the health and wellbeing of its employees and customers.

Starbucks has already reopened some of its sites in other regions, including the US and China.

Workers wore face masks and blue gloves (Katielee Arrowsmith SWNS)
Long queues snaked around the waiting area (Katielee Arrowsmith SWNS)

It said it has "taken learnings" from changes to its operations in China - where 90 per cent of sites are now open - and the US in consideration of its UK sites.

Earlier this month coffee fans spent hours in their cars and created traffic chaos by queueing at reopened drive-through Coasta branches.

The chain was one of the first coffee shops to start opening branches again but queues at some branches created huge tailbacks.

McDonalds will open 30 of its drive-through branches next week.

"Next week we will begin the next phase of reopening a further 30 pilot restaurants in the UK and Ireland, offering service through the drive-thru lane from Wednesday 20 May," the chain said in a statement.

"We plan to reopen all our drive-thrus by early June.

However, to try and keep queues shorter and staff from being overwhelmed, the chain is also bringing in a £25 order cap.

The burger chain reopened 15 of its restaurants for delivery on Wednesday.

The news comes as the number of Prets open across the UK rises to more than 100 and Greggs has also said it will be opening a few branches for delivery only as a trial.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
One subscription that gives you access to news from hundreds of sites
Already a member? Sign in here
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.