With the Championship season over, attention turns to the summer transfer window and who clubs may or may not bring in.
It was a largely forgettable season for Nottingham Forest with Chris Hughton eventually leading the club to a 17th place finish after taking over from Sabri Lamouchi back in October.
The Reds had a busy summer last season with a whole host of new players arriving at the club, some being more successful than others.
And it seems that it could again be a busy one for Hughton, with the Forest boss looking for a ‘tighter’ squad after the summer window. It is claimed by the Athletic that up to 16 players, including returning loanees could leave the club this summer.
One player who Forest would like to see return is Manchester United midfielder, James Garner. The 20-year-old has been one of the standout performers since arriving in January, with the Reds keen to persuade Manchester United to send him to the City Ground on another temporary deal.
There are however other clubs lurking, with the Red Devils said to be keen to send the player overseas for his next loan spell.
So where does that leave Forest if Garner doesn’t return?
Harry Arter is said to be among the players that the club are willing to let go in the summer, meaning the Reds are likely to look to midfield reinforcements.
Here are five cheap alternatives that Forest could potentially turn to should Garner not return in the coming months.
Matty James
The Leicester City midfielder is likely to be available on a free transfer with his contract at the King Power Stadium expiring at the end of the season.
He has spent the season on loan with fellow Championship side Coventry City as he proved his fitness after a few years of injury nightmares.
James was a key member of the Foxes’ 2014 Championship winning team but has struggled to return from a cruciate knee injury at the end of the 2014/15 season.
With the midfielder not expected to sign a new contract with the Foxes, a race could be on for his signature.
Alex Mowatt
The Barnsley midfielder has been a regular in the Tykes’ starting lineup this season, wearing the captain’s armband for the majority of the season.
The 26-year-old has scored eight goals and provided a further seven assists in the Championship, and played the full 90 minutes of the play-off semi-final vs Swansea City.
Mowatt was named Barnsley’s players’ player of the season and has been in talks with the club over extending his stay although no agreement has yet been reached.

Tom Carroll
The former Tottenham man signed a one-year deal with Queens Park Rangers in the summer and has proved himself to be an effective Championship player.
Carroll played 22 times for the Rs this season before a serious knee injury saw him miss the rest of the season.
The 28-year-old made his comeback to the squad for the final games of the season meaning he will be fit for the start of the next campaign.
However, QPR are said to be in discussion over potentially extending the midfielder’s stay at Loftus Road beyond this season.
Barry Bannan
Bannan played the full 90 minutes in all but six of Sheffield Wednesday’s Championship games this season, although he couldn’t help to stop the Owls from falling down to League One on the final day of the campaign.
Bannan was named as the club’s player of the year earlier this month.
He signed a two-year contract extension with the Owls earlier this year, but Sheffield Wednesday’s relegation could mean that they have to sell up should an acceptable offer comes in.
The 31-year-old has proved himself to be a playmaker who can make the difference in the Championship during his time at Hillsborough.
Liam Walsh
It has been confirmed by Bristol City that the midfielder will be leaving the club in the summer after the expiry of his contract.
The 23-year-old has had an injury hit season, making just three appearances for the Robins.
However, should he be able to prove his fitness then he could be an effective signing for Forest.
The midfielder had an impressive loan spell with Coventry City in 2019/20, where he became a fans’ favourite and prompted Bristol City to trigger a one-year contract extension.
That year didn’t go as planned due to injuries meaning that the former Everton man will now look to prove himself elsewhere.