Get all your news in one place.
100’s of premium titles.
One app.
Start reading
Chicago Sun-Times
Chicago Sun-Times
National
David Struett

530 remain without power in Chicago after Monday storm

This tree was uprooted in the 1600 block of West Jarvis Avenue when a severe storm and tornado passed over Rogers Park on Monday. | Mitch Dudek/Sun-Times

Only 530 ComEd customers in Chicago were still without power Thursday evening, although the utility company expects to return service to almost everyone by Friday night.

So far, ComEd has restored power to about 125,000 customers in Chicago as of 8 p.m., according to company spokesman John Schoen.

In total, about 99% of ComEd outages in the city have been restored since Monday, he said. Statewide, 50,000 customers, or about 7%, remain without power.

ComEd has been working since a Monday storm — one of the most powerful storms to hit northern Illinois in a decade — wreaked havoc in the Chicago area.

A total of 15 tornados touched down in Illinois and northwest Indiana, one of them in the Rogers Park neighborhood, according to the National Weather Service. The Rogers Park twister was among the largest of those and, at 110 mph, it had the highest peak wind speed, according to weather service data.

Schoen declined to give an updated estimate for when power would fully be restored to all customers. After the storm, ComEd said some customers might be waiting until Saturday for power to return.

“We’re really getting down to the hard-hit areas,” Schoen said.

For instance, Harvey suffered some of the worst outages after wind took down a line of transmission towers, he said. About 63% percent of customers in the south suburb were still without power Thursday evening.

Sign up to read this article
Read news from 100’s of titles, curated specifically for you.
Already a member? Sign in here
Related Stories
Top stories on inkl right now
Our Picks
Fourteen days free
Download the app
One app. One membership.
100+ trusted global sources.